Ok, so I never technically lost her, but sometimes it feels like I have. Do you have that one friend who you can not talk to or see for a long time, but every time you talk to each other it’s like you never miss a beat. You just pick up where you left off and everyone around you is obsolete. That’s my best friend, my ride or die, my ace, ma soeur avec les panties khaki (inside joke), my Seannee Bear.
So, here’s how not to lose your best friend: get some duct tape, rope, just kidding…..
- Call/ text your friend as much as possible or just let them know that you’re alive and well. There was a time when I forgot to tell my BFF that I was having a of medical procedure done and she found out on FB (no bueno). I do not recommend this.
- Know that it isn’t the end of the world if you don’t see each other every day, but when you’re together make the most of it.
- Support each other no matter what. We have been each other’s rocks in all of our adventures and crazy ideas. She was the first person I told about starting this blog and she was my first follower.
- Communicate! There were some times when I felt like I was just neglected and it turned out she was feeling the same way. We would’ve never have known if we never communicated. Build a better friendship with honesty.
- Make plans. Even if you’re super busy and you only have one hour a week to yourself, make some time for your best friend.
My best friend has been a part of me since the 6th grade! We have the same birthday (I’m older though, by 12 hours), we both married around the same time, we both have two littles roughly around the same age, we’re both married to the military, and neither one of us know what we want to be when we grow up!!! We’ve always been close to each other, as in “I’m just a phone call away” but not ever really living physically close to each other until recently. We lived about 5 hours away from each other in Florida and maybe saw each other 5 or 6 times because of our schedule. When I found out she was going to be moving 45 minutes away from me, I was ecstatic!!! I thought we’d see each other every weekend and life would be grand. Did we see each other? Yes, of course! Was it every weekend, NOPE!!!! Because of life and our busy schedules we never really had a lot of time to just hang out. Man how I regret that we didn’t take advantage of every opportunity because now she’s gone!!! The military has moved her and her family again and this is the furthest away I have ever been from her. She is almost 8,000 miles away and I miss her.
Having friends shouldn’t be your whole world, but having that one friend who is your sister, your rock, your ace, is something which should be cherished. Tu me manques et je t’aime mon cher ami!!!
One thought on “How Not to Lose Your Best Friend: An Ode to Mine”
Je t’aime et tu me manques aussie, ma soeur avec les panties khaki!! ❤
LikeLiked by 1 person