I love my life! It’s crazy, it’s busy, it’s chaotic, it’s my life! I never thought that I would me a wife, mother, stay-at-home-mom, volunteer, military spouse, the list goes on and on. But the weird part is I never thought I would love it as much as I do.
I didn’t at first. I hated it! I hated the fact that I gave up my life to be a Navy wife and a mom. I had a career, I had a clean house, I had my body, which was a work in progress, but it was mine. I was able to have spontaneous adventures whenever I felt the urge, but when we decided that we were going to procreate EVERYTHING changed.
- Sleep- What is this thing called sleep you speak of? It is non-existent after you have kids.
- A Clean House- Haha!!! The only time my house gets really “cleaned” is when we have guests over and that’s pushing it.
- My “Work in Progress” Body- My daughter called my belly a food baby once, I think we’ll give it 9 months to gestate then see what happens
- Spontaneous Adventures- My level of spontaneity went from “I think I’ll get a mani/pedi today” after waking up at 10 to “Oh %@$# I forgot to buy pull-ups!”
**SIGH** Good times. Yep, my life has changed so much and half of the time I feel like I’m doing everything wrong as a mother and sometimes as a wife. It’s hard! This is by far THE hardest job I’ve ever done! I have days when I wake up and say, “is it over” because at times it’s just that hard. I make a list of things to do and maybe get one thing on that list done because my day was just so chaotic. But guess what? I wouldn’t change it for the world!!! Am I crazy? Of course, I’m a mom! I’m raising two tiny divas to be two amazing young ladies and maybe one day be crazy busy moms themselves. I have to go through this journey so I can laugh at them one day and say “haha! I was there before!” This is a hard job and I don’t get rewards or recognition for it, but I love my beautiful mess because it is MY beautiful mess.
So if you’re in the same boat as I am and wishing your life wasn’t as crazy busy or chaotic or full of just mess, think about these tips in regarding some of the things which have changed:
- Sleep- Sleep when you can whenever you’re baby is young and needs you the most. This is crucial. Don’t think you have to get everything done when the baby sleeps. If you need a shower, take one then get your tired butt in bed. Even when you’re kids get older sleep is hard because they go through so many changes and as a parent you worry all of the time. Even as an adult, my parents still lose sleep when they’re worried about me or my family.
- A Clean House- Listen, you have kids…..end of story. Unless you have extra money to throw around or a bug/rodent infestation, don’t stress over it. Get the basics done so your family doesn’t get sick from the grime, but the mess will still be there after you’ve taken your nap because….well, sleep. What I try to do is make a plan: Monday I clean the bathrooms and do a load of laundry, Tuesday the floors and a load of laundry, Wednesday dust and a load of laundry, Thursday deep clean the kitchen and clean out refrigerator and a load of laundry…..you get the point. And if anyone comes over and complains hand them a sponge and a bucket and tell them to get to work or leave.
- Your “Work in Progress” Body- This has always been a touchy subject because before I had kids I felt like I was in amazing shape. After having kids my shape went to amazing to a little extra fluff. But guess what, I MADE two amazing human beings with my body. It took me 37 weeks each to make and they were both rough pregnancies. So, give yourself a break! Get healthy and make progress slowly. The biggest thing that you can take away from this part is “get healthy.” This is more mental than physical.
- Spontaneous Adventures- You can still be spontaneous! I know kids thrive on routine and all, but sometimes doing things out of the norm can have an amazing reaction from all parties involved. I woke up one morning and said we’re going to stay in our pj’s all day and have fun! Ok, so it was probably just laziness on my part, but it was completely out of the norm for my girls and they loved it!!!! You can still be spontaneous with kids you just have to get more creative.
Well, even though these aren’t all of the tips that are out there that may pertain to your beautiful mess, I hope this is a start. Don’t think that life has to Pinterest perfect because it isn’t. It’s crazy, it’s busy, it’s chaotic, and it’s messy. But just remember, it’s YOUR BEAUTIFUL MESS!!!!
What are some of your tips for your mess?